Old October 20th 04, 11:17 AM
Nate Nagel

Ted Azito wrote:

> That isn't software, that's data.
>
> There are many alternator rebuild resources out there but the older
> auto factory manuals had excellent details on this. There are also
> several books out there. However unless you have a hydraulic press and
> a lathe usually you can't rebuild alternators for what local shops
> can. At least not the older ones.
>
> I got a GM alternator for my diesel Benz-the previous owner modified
> the bracket to take a Delco-for $23.00 with a Lifetime Guarantee at a
> chain parts joint. That's tough to beat.Mopars and Fomocos were a
> couple of bucks more. You have to be hardcore cheap to want to ****
> with them for that.

No, you'd have to be sick of alternators that are "rebuilt" mostly by
cleaning the cases. The quality of many "rebuilt" rotating electrics is
**** poor; often taking a decent used unit and merely cleaning it up and
repairing what's wrong with it is better than buying a cheap "rebuilt"
and gambling that it's not it worse condition than the one you already have.

Besides, a can of electric parts cleaner is even cheaper than $23.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel