Old March 15th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Taurus vs. Bus

Saw a San Francisco taxicab that'd gotten wrecked on both ends at once
by trying to take the inside track on an *articulated* Muni bus that
was making a right turn.

One of the first bits of advice I was given after moving there was
"Don't mess with the Muni" (you know, just in case it isn't intuitively
obvious that a bus is a lot bigger than a car and probably can't stop
or maneuver very well even if the driver sees you coming), but some
people just have to learn firsthand...

Maybe they need a mechanical wig-wag turn signal amidships that can
pound on the roof of a car that is blocking them out of a necessary and
politely requested maneuver. Lots of truck drivers would probably
enjoy such an accessory too: "Don't <whap!> drive in <whap!> the NO
ZONE!" <whap>

There are times I think Driver's Ed ought to include both a chance to
drive a really big vehicle in at least simulated traffic just to see
what it's like up there, and a ride-along with an ambulance crew on one
of the major idiot-driving holidays (or perhaps volunteer work at one
of the trauma centers where the ambulances bring 'em).

--Joe