Old June 13th 05, 08:08 PM
Jeff Strickland

My '94 325i gives a combined - long term - mileage of 24.5 mpg. When driving
on the freeeway at 80+, I get about 27.7 over my 40 mile commute. If I get
stuck in traffic for a very long time on the way to work, then the number
drops rapidly.

My car has the OBC (On Board Computer) with lots of buttons. One of the
buttons is labeled CONSUM. When I press it, the OBC displays CONSUM1, and
when I press it again, it reads CONSUM2. I reset CONSUM1 everytime I fill
the tank (everytime I get gas, I fill the tank) and the reading is usually a
bit above 24.5. CONSUM2 is never reset, so it gives a reading over a very
long time. (CONSUM1 & CONSUM2 can each be reset, but I do not reset CONSUM2
as a matter of practice.)

I assume I could slow down to the maximum legal speed limit in my state, and
improve my fuel mileage as a result, but what's the fun in doing that?