Old June 10th 05, 08:59 PM

I own a 2004 TSX Navi (Euro Accord) same as US model so I maybe able to
help as they both use the same Navi system.

Just like everything else, there is a lot to like about the Navi and
some things not so perfect. Since I tend to be somewhat critical, my

First and foremost, each and every time you start the car, what first
appears is what I like to refer to as the "Don't Sue Us Because Your
Too Stupid Screen" This consists of a disclaimer with some weasal
words indicating, I'm paraphrasing here - if your too dumb to program
this system only at idle and cause a collision... don't blame us.

The problem is this screen lasts and lasts and lasts. So you must wait
about 45 seconds (it can't be defeated) for it disappear before you can
use the Navi. However, you can use the audio and HVAC systems but with
limited functionality.

Entering destinations into the Navi is fairly straightforward but can
be cumbersome depending on the method you choose to input the info,
either by voice or manually.

For example, if you are entering a destination from the database such
as a restaurant, bank, ATM, etc., you can perform this by voice
commands alone. BTW, voice commands are cool, you can control just
about everything exccept your passengers and idiots in other cars

On the other hand, entering a non database address (such as a
residence, new restaurant, etc.) is not completely hands free and
requires manual keyboard entry. Hence, the disclaimer screen.

There are few times when the system will baffle you by responding
incorrectly to your commands but these are ususally due to limitations
in the technology which usually mean you are in the wrong menu screen
or ambient noise is too loud preventing the system from hearing you.

Another issue, the Navi supplies a few extra features such as a
calendar, calculator and a trip computer providing engine run time,
miles since last refuel and average fuel mileage. BTW, so far the fuel
mileage readout has never been accurate as it's alway overly optimestic
by about 2-3 mpg compared with a calculator.

Anyway, this screen is in a menu called "trip computer" nested under
another screen called "information." If try to use a voice command
while viewing this screen, it will respond incorrectly. Indicating you
need to back out of this menu screen and return to the "main menu" or
"map display" for it to function properly.

To be fair, these are mostly nitpicks as the system works very reliably
and saved my butt numerous times, especially when getting lost on
Claifornia freeways or trying to find a location you've never been to
before. Which is why you want it? Another tip if you do get it, never
try to outguess it as it's a lot smarter than you. Let's just say
every time I thought it was wrong and believed I knew better... I
didn't. Which is why i pick on it so much?

Another small shortcoming involves deviating from a current route.
Let's say you're going on vacation or a long trip and want to stop at a
restaurant along the way.

Currently, you can't return to the main menu screen to find a
restaurant without cancelling the current route first. So you need to
cancel, go back to main menu, find a restaurant, plot it and after you
get there, retrieve your previous route or replot it and continue.
Sort of a pain unless you know in advance you will be stopping along
the way and enter this as a seperate destination.

I understand the new Odyssey and Acura RL have this capability and
allow for adding new routes to existing ones.

All this brings up a fundamental problem with the technology, it's
still evolving. True, it's fun to "talk to your car" and tell it to
change the temperature, radio station or ask it how long before I get
somewhere. But the price is steep, about $2K.

You could argue, maybe I'll wait for it to get better or cheaper?
Trouble is, it always will be changing and improving so the price isn't
likely to come down due to added features or content. If at some point
you decide you must have it, just go for it.

Something else to consider, if you plan to keep the car a while, you
will want to update the DVD software at some point. The DVD contains
the maps, restaurants, ATM, gas stations, etc. The updates occur about
every year or two and currently sell for $185 + shipping
https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

This leads to your last question, is it worth it? Tough to say, as
it's a subjective question and only you can decide if it is. Many
might argue you can buy a lot of maps or even a portable GPS unit with
plenty of change left over for $2K.

In my opinion, you can't wait for the "perfect time to buy a car that
will be perfect." Never gonna happen, it's always emotion based. Try
to find a dealer or someone to let you play with a Navi for a couple of
hours and decide if you can't live without it. That's what I did.

Sorry for the long post, hope I didn't paint too bleak a picture but
it's always good to know the downside of technology as most advertising
is the opposite. Just to end on a positive note, you can program the
Navi voice command to respond in either a male or female voice. So if
you're tired of being lectured by a woman...you can always switch

Good Luck with your decision