Old December 21st 04, 05:30 AM
Lane

My '94 SC2 went about 7 years parked outside during Wisconsin winters with
years where the temp stayed around zero for weeks at a time, with occasional
dips as far as -40 (and that's without the windchill figured in). During
that time, gas-line antifreeze additive, synthetic oil, fresh coolant
anti-freeze, and the most powerful CCA battery that fits in the car did the
job. Started up every morning with no problems, and I never had the need
for a block/battery heater.

Make sure you also have a relatively new thermostat so the inside of the
vehicle heats up as quickly as possible once the car gets running. And
you'll probably want to replace your battery every 2 to 3 years as
preventative maintenance. I've had two batteries out of 3 die in the middle
of winter right at the 3 year mark, and I cannot stress how much it sucks to
have to replace a battery with the car outdoors when it is that cold.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
(Has changed the oil outdoors at zero degrees. Bring it on.)
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> I live near Chicago and have seen -26 F without wind chill. I know I've
> also seen -40 up just North of me in Wisconsin. I figure Michigan gets

just
> as cold and some of Michigan (UP) gets pretty bad. Better safe than

sorry.
> I'd mix to -50 to be safe.
>
> Bob
>
> > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:05:09 -0600, "Bob Shuman"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >And, probably even more important, is your antifreeze good to -40

or -50
> > >degrees F since this is what you will need in Michigan?
> > >

> > It gets to -50 in Michigan?!!!
> >

> > >If not, you will have a frozen (and very cracked) engine block!
> > >
> > > Bob
> > >
> > >PS I agree with Blah blah, that you need to give us a clue to have any

> idea
> > >what might be wrong here.

> tesi170

> it. I