Old August 24th 06, 01:48 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

Default New Noise - Engine noise while in Drive - '02 1.8T Quattro

You are lucky that the warranty covers it.

Evaporator is a component in the air conditioning system that cools the interior
air when the gas evaporates. It is located in the area below the windshield. Not
related to the sludge issue. Still the condenser part of the system is loosened
and swung down under the engine when major work is performed on the engine. Any
stress on the AC components risks causing a leak but not likely where they are
claiming. They are probably looking at an AC oil leak at a joint in the system.
Ask them to test with a 'sniffer' to confirm the problem. I would be suspicious
that they are just looking to get more $$$ from you to cover some of the
warranty costs.

Chips: various after-market performance parts companies sell chips that replace
the stock ones in the ECU. They reverse engineer the factory algorithm than
controls boost level, fuel mapping and ignition timing to optimize various
things including hp / torque. The stock chips are rather conservative and an
after market one can make a very impressive difference.

My chip is rated at one bar which increases boost from 7 - 10 up to 15 - 18. It
is available from APR performance parts.

If you are thinking of this you need to realize that it will void the remainder
of you warranty but will increase your enjoyment. Decisions. Decisions...