Old March 1st 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Oil consumption options

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> Now that I will be getting a second Miata, it seems like a good time to
> do something about Bozo's oil burning problem. But I am somewhat at a
> loss how to proceed. Valve job? Engine rebuild (boring out cylinders?)
> Putting in a new engine?
>
> Of course, I am not planning to do anything like these myself. I assume
> there are suitable businesses where you can drop the car off and they
> will fix the problem in due time.
>
> Leon

Your oil burning is almost certainly piston ring wear, as I am sure that
you know. Have you had a compression test done?

I think that the answer depends on what you want to use the car for from
now on. Any competent mechanic will be able to swap the engine out for a
new crate engine. I am sure that you can have the engine sent to the
shop, drop the car off and pick it up later. My mechanic in Austin will
do this.
You may have to look around to find someone familiar with dealing with
aftermarket superchargers if the mechanic would be swapping that part at
the same time.

On the other hand, it would be awfully tempting to go ahead and rebuild
the engine and do things like polish the intake chambers, set the
compression ratio at the optimum level for your JRSC, and the other
various things that make the engine a bit more precise and powerful.
Just a little thank you for many years of faithful service.

Then there is always the "Monster Bozo" V8 conversion option. ;-)

Pat