Old July 15th 05, 04:59 PM
Ulf

y_p_w wrote:
> Ulf wrote:
>
>>Nate Nagel wrote:
>>

>>>Is there any legitimate method for turning a clear glass bulb into an
>>>amber one? I'm not nuts about the lack of contrast between the turn
>>>signals and headlights, but I'm also not prepared to modify the very
>>>rare and expensive parking light housings with a different socket...

>>Actually, white parking lights/turn signals work pretty good, at least
>>as long as they're not too close to the headlights. I put clear turn
>>signal/parking/DRL bulbs on my Camaro (as a temporary fix after the
>>inspection) last spring, and I almost prefer having white DRLs, seem to
>>be less confusing IME.

> Probably not legal. For some strange reason, the front turn signals
> bulbs in my car are clear behind an amber lens (in the headlight
> assembly). The rears are amber bulbs in a clear lens. The assemblies
> are made by different manufacturers.

Actually, it is. LOL, overengineered..?

BTW, saw a new Saab wagon with white taillight lenses today driving home
in the rain. The light was weird, kind of blurry, like it was filtered
somehow. The side markers were red LEDs though...

>>There's also a product called "Color Chrome", or something like that. I
>>thought about buying a can and color the lights on my BMW a little. I'm
>>not sure if it works on bulbs, or only lenses, but it might be worth a
>>try. YMMV.

> I've seen some "color covers". I know - "halfassed ****". Might even
> burn?

Possibly. It will make the bulb dimmer in either case, although maybe
not enough to make a difference.

> Well - I did get some clear (Sylvania packaged) 7440 and 7443 bulbs as
> spares. I can't quite figure out why they're not packaged (in pairs) in
> a way to keep the bulbs from banging into each other. I took them out
> and covered them in bubble wrap. The 7443s are different. The base
> is darkened like smoked glass. They say "12W21/5W" and "E11" (in a
> rounded box), with no country of origin. They package says they're
> made in Japan. I still have to contact DS about the amber bulbs and
> some H1 bulbs I need.

Good luck.

Ulf