Old July 14th 05, 01:59 PM
JohnH

>>> Why does it matter? Only an idiot would do the speed limit in these
>>> zones. Doing so is suicide.

>> Talk about a point being lost!
>>
>> Ok, show me one incidence where someone was killed for *not* speeding
>> through a construction zone.

> How about this scenario:
>
> The typical traffic speed on road is 70 mph. The normal posted limit
> is 50 mph. The construction zone speed limit is 35 mph. Traffic
> speed slows down to 60 mph. A cyclist is riding through the
> construction zone at 30 mph. How likely is it that the cyclist will
> survive?

Despite the absurdity of your example, the cyclist has a normal chance of
survival rate unless someone does something stupid like turns in front of
him - but they wouldn't take a turn at 60, now would they? Of course morons
do stupid **** like heave things at cyclists and run them off the road, but
they do that at all speeds.

I didn't think anyone would be able to show an example where someone was
killed for not speeding through a construction zone. I think at worst they
may have felt intimidated by a tailgater (I was almost *killed!*). Flip the
mirror up in that case.