Old December 19th 04, 07:39 AM
Lawrence Glickman

Default Brown color of Automatic Transmission Fluid

I have a slight problem, dilemma.

I checked my fluid level today on my auto tranny and it looked a
little brown to me, not the pink/red it was when I put it in.

Since I wasn't sure, I put some on a paper towel, and then next to it
a drop or two of New out-of the bottle ATF. Sure enough, the stuff
from the tranny IS brown in comparison with the from-the-bottle stuff.

I have a transmission cooler that came stock with the car, and haven't
abused the vehicle in any way. So I don't understand the color shift,
since this vehicle only has about 13, 600 miles on it altogether.

Question:

Should I take this into dealer for warranty inspection
or
Should I just go ahead and change the fluid myself.

Is there something -wrong- with the transmission that caused this to
occur.

This is a 2003 Vulcan 3.0 Liter with 13,600 original miles on it.

Lg