Old September 16th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default What tools do I need?

Troy wrote:

> I read somewhere on a website about having it 1 degree lowered for
> axle wrap, but I'm sure I wont be able to judge a degree until I get
> the angle finder huh... I wish I had more time today to mess with it
> but I gotta be asleep by 7:30 to be up for work at 3am. ugh.

By the way, there is no axle wrap with link suspension, only with leaf
springs. That's why they make traction and ladder bars. If your getting
axle wrap with a link suspension then the bushings are toast.

Once the angle is set, the four links maintain that angle. (within reason)

Anyhoo..

You should start with a full tank of fuel and no cargo
on flat ground (concrete) not on grass/gravel/or dirt.

To measure the angle you place the angle finder on the output yolks
ear. i.e. side closest to the transmission case and side closest to the
diff. You measure one ear, rotate the shaft 180, measure the other ear,
and take the difference. Make sure the bearing cap is flat or you will
get an off reading.

The difference between front and rear should be no greater than 1.5 degrees.

As for +1 offset, I dunno. My ZJ is bone stock and it reads about .5
high at the rear on a full tank.

--
DougW