Old August 26th 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

Default M5 versus Shelby GT500

> wrote
> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power. If I
> am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to sixty
> and high speed?. Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right? Is there other side to
> this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please if I am.

Assuming you're not a troll;
According to Car & Driver, the Shelby does 0-60 in 4.5s, the 1/4 mile in
12.9s.
The M5 does 0-60 in 4.2s, 1/4 mile in 12.5s. The M5 stops faster, in 158
feet
from 70 mph vs. 172 feet for the Ford. The M5 also has a higher top speed,
if the
governors were removed.

The M5 also takes 4 adults in comfort, while the Ford really only takes two
adults and 2 children.

The Ford won't even beat a Corvette - even a Coupe with LS2 will beat
it. The Z06 will destroy it.

FloydR