Old May 28th 04, 08:07 AM
Tony Rickard

"Zathras" wrote:

> >Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
> >costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a

JTD
> >at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
> >especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.

> In 'real world' driving I suspect this motor wouldn't be that far
> behind a V6.

True. I read a report on the 147 JTD which had little trouble keeping up
with a 147 GTA except on the really long straight bits. It certainly has
more torque

> >I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
> >that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...

> ********! The rev counter is re-calibrated!! ;-) Ok, the JTD isn't the
> quietest motor out there but I prefer it's effortless, grunty roar to
> the inaudible whine of a JTS any day. In any case, you will not hear
> it at motorway speeds.

I'll rephrase it then - the rev counter seems to be missing some digits

Grunty roar is good. I like to hear engines (that sound good) so being
quiet is not the criteria. True I don't want a racket on the motorway, but
when I put my foot down on the other roads I like to hear something
purposeful.