Old May 27th 04, 10:00 PM
Zathras

On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:41:56 GMT, "Tony Rickard"
> wrote:

>Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
>costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a JTD
>at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
>especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.

In 'real world' driving I suspect this motor wouldn't be that far
behind a V6.

>How does the 1.9 16v 140bhp compare? How does it sound and perform?
>
>Also what real world fuel economies are JTD drivers getting bearing in mind
>I will now be doing a lot of motorway miles. The V6 gets into the low
>thirties on a motorway run, low twenties every where else.

I'm never below 40mpg per tank..I drive enthusiastically and mostly
urban so on a motorway, I'd expect a fair bit more. 500 miles per tank
for me.

>I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
>that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...

********! The rev counter is re-calibrated!! ;-) Ok, the JTD isn't the
quietest motor out there but I prefer it's effortless, grunty roar to
the inaudible whine of a JTS any day. In any case, you will not hear
it at motorway speeds.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)