Old April 4th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 60K servicing for Toyota Corolla

"Hugo Schmeisser" > wrote in message > In my experience,
the problem with dealers is threefold:
> 1) Their insistence on using new replacement parts instead of trying to
> fettle old ones into a working condition, and
> 2) their shop rates are generally higher, and
> 3) being used to servicing newer vehicles, they're not used to the
> problems older and higher mileage cars tend to develop.
>
> The disadvantages of independent shops is primarily that their "techs"
> may have little to no training, and tend to bodge jobs as a result.

My experience is a little different.

Whether the dealership mechanics are better trained is not always evident.
They seem to be more prone toward pushing the flat rate and they often do
not complete the jobs satisfactorily.

Shop rates may be higher at a dealership, or not. Getting the job done
correctly,
the first time, can make the shop rate a moot point.

Dealership parts often carry much higher markups than equal or better
quality
aftermarket parts. But this doesn't mean that they are better.

In one case, I checked dealership parts (strut cartridges) for one of my
cars...
Over $130 each. The same part was available at NAPA for 25% of the cost.
(Same OEM supplier also made the NAPA part)