Old May 10th 05, 03:12 PM
RichardS

"Christian McArdle" > wrote in message
t...
> >> Because the prices are mostly tax, and this is largely set in absolute
> >> terms, rather than a percentage,

> > Part of it is absolute, part of it is a percentage (VAT).

> Hence the word "largely" above. Only VAT on the non-duty part is variable.
> VAT on the duty itself is fixed, unless the rate of VAT or duty changes.

Stunning, isn't it - the concept of VAT on Duty!!!

I still scratch my head as to how they get away with that one... actually
no, I suppose that any discussion of tax other than headline rate income tax
is something that makes about 90% of the country glaze over & ignore.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk