Old July 19th 05, 11:36 PM
bwm

"" wrote:
> bwm wrote:
> > I recently purchased a 1994 Audi 90 CS with 181000 miles

> (probably my
> > first mistake).
> >
> > Anyway, it failed the emission test in Ohio with very high

> NOx
> > readings. CO and HC were in very acceptable ranges. I was

> told it is
> > probably the catalytic converter. Well unfortunately, I

> think the car
> > has two cat converters and they run around $300 each.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with the universal catalytic
> > converters (which run about $90 each) and getting them

> installed in a
> > 90 CS? Any problems with these and integrating into the

> exhaust
> > system?
> >
> > Does anyone have any other thoughts besides replacing the

> cat conv to
> > reduce NOx emissions? I already changed oil, changed plugs,

> changed
> > anti-freeze and air filter. None of this helped NOx,

> reduced CO and
> > HC a bit, but NOx actually went up.

> High NOx does indicate bad catcon.
>
> Aftermarket ones are available - I'm not sure I'd want to
> trust a
> system to a cheapy universal, but more toward an AM one from a
> reputable Audi parts supplier, with brand names like Bosal or
> Stromung.
>
> A high-mileage Audi will serve you well, as long as you keep
> on top of
> those small things. A well-kept older Audi can keep it's
> resale value
> for a long time, even with high miles - as long as you keep it
> in
> tip-top shape. Let it go, and you'll be looking at a
> valueless
> money-pit.
>
> Now for the embarrassing question: why didn't you get a
> pre-purchase
> inspection done? No matter what brand of used car, this is an
> essential step. Once you found out about the bad catcons, you
> could
> have negotiated a better price to cover the cost of
> replacement.
>
> Still, unless you spent WAY over blue book, even with the bad
> catcons,
> I think you'll find that used Audis provide a lot of bang for
> your
> used-car buck.
>
> Good luck, and report back when you get her fix up.
>
> E.P.

gcmschemist, thanks for the reply.

To answer the embarrassing question, well... I was out of the country
and returning to the US, so I bought the car on eBay, and for the
price I paid for the car, it was worth it to me if the car did not
last me long. I know I still could have had the car looked at, but I
guess I was just lazy. Lesson learned.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Audi-94-90...ict129675.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=632261