Old January 5th 05, 04:40 AM
JR North

/rant
The main beef I have with SUVs is the people who drive them have little
or no experience with the shifted drivers perspective due to the
elevated eye level. I have come within a short hair's width of being
broadsided TWICE by Lincoln Navigators, who's drivers ran a stop sign on
an intersecting side street. This is because they are used to looking UP
at a stop sign in a car. The elevated eye level in an SUV puts the sign
about level with the driver. So, it doesn't register. People who are
used to driving trucks do not make this error. The higher driver
position causes an error in judging the distance of the car in front,
and sometimes not even seeing it because it is below the drivers
straight ahead line of vision. I was waiting to turn left into a 7-11
with my brake and T/S lights on in my '70 Datsun Roadster. I glanced in
my RVM to see a Ford Expedition barreling right at me at 45mph. I
stomped the gas and got out of her way just in the nick of time. I could
see her face as I glanced- see was staring straight ahead- didn't even
see me sitting there. If I hadn't moved, I would have been killed-
literally run-over by that monster.
Suvs rear-end cars for the above illustrated conditions. I have 3
neighbors with SUVs, all 3 currently have front end damage.
As I said, look at the number of cars with rear end collision damage
well above bumper height.
I have had SUV's repeatedly change lanes into me(without colliding),
because they can't see smaller cars next to them.
Am I discourteous to SUVs? You bet. I can't trust one behind me, and
can't see around one in front of me. If one is next to me, I'm just
waiting for it to swerve into my lane. If one is approaching on a side
street, I expect it to run the stop sign. This is no way to drive with
peace-of-mind.
The main problem is the nitwits that drive them have no experience
driving a large, high vehicle.
I'm just counting the days till I get killed by one.....
\rant
JR

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> Three times in the past week or so, I've noticed something I don't
> recall seeing befo someone with a high-riding pickup or SUV who had
> two to six inches of drop hitch -- installed upside down.
>
> Two of them had a trailer on, and in the worst case, a flatbed behind a
> Ford Excursion, the upside-down apparatus combined with the tall
> vehicle to leave it sitting at maybe a twenty-degree angle. I'm
> surprised he didn't leave his trailer taillights on the speed bumps --
> or his cargo on the road going up a steep hill.
>
> Just for completeness, I went to a local store and looked at the
> catalogue from one of the big makers of trailering tools and toys.
> Sure enough, it contained not only instructions but photographs showing
> what things are supposed to look like when properly rigged. Somehow
> people are spending money on an accessory that they probably need --
> and using it exactly wrong.
> Fishtailing soon down an Interstate near you...
>
> --Joe

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"