Old May 29th 05, 02:24 AM

Default Detroit, Japan, and Car Quality

Both Japan and Detroit can make a good car if they really want to. I
personally would rather buy American if the quality and price are
comparable for the most part but it is not the first thing I look for.
Buying a domestic product that is inferior just makes you a large
banana republic.

As I said elsewhere, Toyota in my opinion makes the best fork lift in
the world. I personally don't buy fork lifts, few individuals do, but
the North American competition is not as good at least in the size
class of lift truck I have experience with. US lift trucks have US
industrial engines made from patterns and core boxes made in the '50s
and they no longer cut the muster.

I don't feel Japanese cars are necessarily better any more. But GM
can't blame its problems on anyone else, it has failed to produce a
first rate product on a cost effective basis for a long time. Yes, the
Corvette is a great value for a car in its class-in fact probably too
good, you don't buy an expensive sports car for cost-effectiveness!
Yes, the Duramax is great. Yes, the Northstar is first class tech. But
overall their lines are stodgy, middle-of-the-road, and have no
compelling reason to buy.

DCX has done good things with Jeep and will probably do more, but I
don't think they really have a strong idea where they want to go in a
way the American Jeep buyer will really go for.