Old March 10th 05, 08:17 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"John Harlow" > wrote in message
>> What I've done in this situation (7 lane-wide intersection, I'm in the
>> center lane of my direction) is remained where I was. The EV will
>> likely drive onto the shoulder or median to pass, in which case cars
>> will edge into the adjacent lane to give way.

> In a city there often is no shoulder or median options. Will you just sit
> there while an ambulance is right behind you blowing the horn?

That's rare here in Portland--besides, the EV will pull into the empty lanes
of oncoming traffic if all four lanes in my direction are blocked. Its
lights are on , the siren is blaring, and its horn is honking--I think the
oncoming trafic will notice it.

If I'm sitting 1st at the light, the EV is several cars behind me at
least--nothing I can do about that. If I see cars behind me squeezing over,
I'll follow suit--if it's safe for me to do so.

>> I'll make way for them, but no way am I pulling out into an
>> intersection against the light.

> I have been in several instances where that's the only option.

I've yet to experience this scenario. I assume it exists in other cities.
Call me lucky.

>> Either some bonehead behind me will
>> take the opportunity to blow through the light (and maybe cause a
>> collision with crossing traffic) or I'd risk getting T-boned, another
>> collision.

> If you can't pull into the intersection without risking getting t-boned,
> then you definitely ought to stay put and let the EV deal with it.

Right. So far, no problems.