Old August 20th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jonny

Default 1998 VW Jetta: No Dash / Instrument panel lights,.

"Terrence" > wrote in message
>I have a 1998 Jetta GL that the interior instrument and dash lights will
>not
> illuminate or turn on. However, I do have exterior head lights / tail
> lights / turn signals / hazards as well as the overhead reading lights.
>
> Turn signal/ hazards / high beam indicator works on the instrument
> cluster, other wise, its all dark. All fuses seem intact with no to a
> blown state. In chatting with a VW service guy, he speculated that the
> dimmer roll switch - "rheostat" near the headlight switch might be broke.
> The factory replacement for this is about 120.00 dollars plus a shop
> labor
> of 89.00 / hour. If anyone has had this part replaced, I would
> appreciate
> you sharing your experiences. Thanks in advance for the replies.
>
> Terrence

A rheostat typically develops a bad spot before going entirely bad, if it
goes entirely bad at all. Play with it in the evening hours so you can see
illumination properly. If its not responding, check elsewhere. The actual
connector of the rheostat may be contaminated or damaged for instance.
--
Jonny