Old July 26th 05, 01:40 AM
Steve B.

On 23 Jul 2005 13:41:48 -0700, "John Manner" >
wrote:

>I just got a quote of about $1100 for the repair. I don't want to put
>that much money in a truck that 6 years old now, so I guess I am going
>to do the work myself. I'm keeping the A/C off so it doesn't lock up
>and ruin my belt. As for the repair, getting the compressor (rebuilt)
>and drier are easy, but what do I do about the R-134a still in the
>system? Can a shop recover it for me? I really don't want to vent it.
>Finally, does anyone know of any good resources for this type of job?

The shop can recover the 134a for you. Your factory service manual is
the best tool you can have to learn how to do the job.

Don't buy a rebuilt from your local cheapie auto parts. Best bet is a
GM factory new compressor. Second best is to go over to
aircondition.com and ask them who is making the best rebuilt right
now.

Steve B.