Old March 30th 05, 05:36 AM
Old Wolf

MidnightDad wrote:
> Why do SUV drivers drive differently than "regular car" drivers
> in adverse road conditions? BECAUSE THEY CAN. That's why they
> bought their SUV. It has the capabilities to enable them to
> negotiate difficult road and weather conditions with confidence.

That's the problem. The SUV has worse negotiation of difficult
weather conditions and difficult corners, but the driver feels
more confident. Hence more accidents.

> Are they being reckless? Perhaps some are, but no more than
> regular car drivers. The vast majority are simply using their
> cars for the purpose they were intended (and designed) for.

SUVs were designed for negotiating offroad conditions (ie.
bumpy surfaces). That is why they are so high off the ground --
so they can drive over ridges and bumps and troughs.

> Before SUV's, there were (and still are) pickup trucks.
> They have similar designs and capabilities. Have they become
> demonized by the media? No. Why is this?

Because pickup truck owners don't buy them to drive their kids
half a mile to school.

> Could it be because they're driven by working-class people
> rather than "soccer moms" and "yuppies"?

Hey, you're onto it.

> My point is that SUV's are being given a bad rap simply
> because their drivers are an easy media target. It's a
> double standard.

Pickup drivers are better drivers than soccer moms.