Old March 29th 05, 11:06 PM
Paul

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:47:38 -0500, MidnightDad , one of an infinite
number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters said the following
in rec.autos.driving...

> Why do SUV drivers drive differently than "regular car" drivers in adverse
> road conditions? BECAUSE THEY CAN. That's why they bought their SUV. It
> has the capabilities to enable them to negotiate difficult road and weather
> conditions with confidence.

No they can't. Example: the Cherokee I saw a couple of years ago: I was
on 17 southbound (it had just stopped raining) at the I-95 off ramp at GA
exit 29 when this broad in a Jeep Cherokee blew through the stop sign at
about 60MPH and hung a hard tight turn (and from the wrong lane - the
left turn lane - at that). The stupid bitch (yes, it was a woman driving)
damn near rolled the POS in the process. SUV's were designed with off
road use in mind. The closest many of them will get to off road is when
Mommy or Daddy Wuss backs over the flower bed when backing out of the
driveway.

> Before SUV's, there were (and still are) pickup trucks. They have similar
> designs and capabilities. Their drivers sometimes drive them faster than
> regular cars in bad weather. They have accidents. Have they become
> demonized by the media? No. Why is this? Could it be because they're
> driven by working-class people rather than "soccer moms" and "yuppies"? My
> point is that SUV's are being given a bad rap simply because their drivers
> are an easy media target. It's a double standard.

You mean like the woman in the ad for the Cadillac where we see Ms.
Yuppie driving home from the boutique to her mansion in her tank like a
flippin' maniac to find out at the end that she was carrying a bag of
something about the same volume as a 6" x 9" stereo speaker in the cargo
area?

And you wonder where some of us get out opinions of SUV's and their
owners from......