Old July 24th 05, 05:13 PM
Jim Chinnis

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in part:

>"Jim Chinnis" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in part:
>>
>> >At any rate, we already know what we need to do to the economy to
>> >reduce dependence on foreign oil. We need to migrate the economy
>> >to renewable power sources. And there are not many of them. Wind
>> >power is really one of the few available that has enough energy to
>> >run the economy. Nuclear is another if you can accept the waste problem
>> >(most people can't) The rest of them, such as damming rivers, direct
>> >photovoltiac conversion, geothermal, biofuel and so forth, either have
>> >unwanted
>> >side effects (fish kills) or are too terribly inefficient, or there

>aren't
>> >enough
>> >of them, to provide sufficient energy.

>> But none of those approaches has a chance while oil is cheap. So,
>> yeah, we know what we need to do.

>But, it isn't cheap, actually. It is just the costs are spread elsewhere.

The marginal cost to a consumer is cheap. That's why alternative
sources won't fly.

I don't disagree that the hidden costs are substantial, but they
are hidden and don't influence consumers' choices.

>Let's face it, the entire reason Bush invaded Iraq was oil. If the cost
>of that war was entirely paid for by a federal tax on each barrel of
>oil, you would see sudden readjustment in people thinking of oil being
>"cheap" And while we are at it, might as well pay for all the
>bribery I-mean-foreign-aid that we give Israel, Saudia Arabia, and
>all the rest of the mid East countries to keep a lid on things over there.
>
>One of these days, and I hope I'm alive to see it, the Mid East will run
>out of oil. When that happens the rest of the developed worlds governments,
>including China, are going to turn their back on that area of the globe.
>We will just build a giant fence around it, and let the occupants go
>free to murder each other over 'their homelands' Maybe once they
>have had a few generations of total warfare against each other and
>flattened most of their population centers, they might get sick of it -
>or if they cannot learn, then they will just end up killing each other off
>until nobody is left. Either way, problem solved.
>
>Until then the rest of the world is stuck dumping money into that
>snake pit.
>
>I guess we ought at least to thank our lucky stars that so many of
>the people over there are mentally ****ed in the head with all this
>religion crapola - if the societies in the Mid East ever came to their
>senses and banded together, the rest of us in the world would
>be their slaves.
>
>Ted

There are religious fundamentalists everywhere. They know what God
wants done and they let no one get in the way of carrying out
"his" will.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA