Old January 23rd 05, 12:33 PM
Joseph Meehan

Richard Smith wrote:
> Recently my 2002 series 4 Golf developed a very strange smell when the
> engine is running.
> It smells like acetone or something electrical burning ....
>
> I've just checked the oil....It's filled to the correct level on the
> dip stick. I smelled the dip stick and it smells of petrol..
> I think fuel is getting in to the oil...
> The car is booked in for it's second service to morrow.
> What could be causing the problem?

Note: In an earlier thread with the same subject line, Richard also
noted that he is experiencing black smoke from the tail pipe. I indicated
that it appears the engine is running rich.

I have no idea about any likely connection between any electrical smell
and running rich.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math