Old November 14th 04, 04:54 AM
Ironradio

Default '86 302 Balance question

I realize this FSB balance issues have been asked and answered here
before but I have an additional couple questions.

I recently bought a vehicle which has a '86 5.0L Mustang engine which
vibrated when it ran. I noticed the ring on the harmonic damper was
cocked and thinking that was the problem, I bought a new 50 oz. damper
to replace it with. When I pulled the bad damper off, I noticed it was
a 28 oz model - no wonder the engine vibrated!

In checking with the guy who put together this engine he admitted to
putting on a 1965 damper - a '65 flywheel too! I checked the flywheel
he put on and its an old 160-tooth model. (slap - slap!)

Now for my question - I now have a good damper on the engine now but
as for the flywheel, should it be a neutral balance or a 50 oz.
imbalance? The engine runs pretty vibration free now, so I'm guessing
that I need a neutral balance 'wheel. Is that correct? Does the '65
160-tooth flywheel have neutral balance? Do I need to get that old
flywheel off of there or should it be OK?

Thanks!