Old March 9th 05, 01:53 AM
Mitch_A

Russell wrote:

> I picked up a TrackIR3 Pro w/Vector Expansion. I checked it out with
> Live For Speed (since it has native support). During the 1st lap I was
> thinking about how much money I wasted. By the second lap I realized
> that they were on to something really cool and it was just a matter of
> getting used to it. I still have a way to go to get comfortable with
> it, but the learning curve is not steep.
>
> I tweaked their default profile and that helped. Let's say from the
> left to the right side of your monitor you move your head 45 degrees
> (just picking a simple number). With the default setup you can look
> into the back seat as you look to the sides of the monitor. Basically
> your 45 degree movement is converted to 360 degrees. That's a lot! I
> changed that range to only allow me to look full left and full right (45
> degrees of real movement equals 180 degrees of sim movement.) It makes
> it more intuitive and less jumpy. I also made the curve of the head
> turn linear (rather than increasing the further you look). That way the
> speed of your head turn is matched directly on the screen. The
> NaturalPoint software has a lot of flexibility.
>
> I found that I was looking into the turns and planning for them earlier
> than the built in LFS steering look does. Coming out of the corners I
> needed to remember to straighten my head out to look ahead (I was used
> to the program altering the view for me).
>
> I knew I was getting into it when I tried another sim that doesn't
> support TrackIR and I turned my head to look into the turn, nothing
> happened and it felt odd .
>
> I think this is another good step into more immersion into racing sims.
> Sure it is a trade off, but until something better and cheaper comes
> along (3d VR goggles anyone?), this is a step in the right direction.
>
> One thing to note is that the device doesn't like bright sunlight. I
> had a bit of bright sun shining through window blinds and the thing
> wouldn't track. I put a towel over the blinds (just enough to diffuse
> the sunlight, not block it out) and that took care of the problem.
>
> Russell

I hadnt tried LFS but I have tried both GTR and NSR. NSR fully supports
Vector while the demo of GTR doesnt. NSR seems a better all around TIR
experience even though I prefer GTR as a game. Could be the profile I use
is more suited to NSR though. Not enough time..

While the TIR/VE work very nicely in racing sims it really shines in flight
sims. The true freedom of head movement can really only be experienced as
words cant adequately describe it

The one game that really needs the full vector/6dof support is the IL2
series and it doesnt, grrrrr. It does work great even without vector
support even though it would be nice to look around the monstrous pillars
in the sim. The P-51 while under-simulated in PF is still a beauty to look
around in with that bubble canopy and TIR.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a