Old May 31st 05, 07:30 AM
Rich Wales

Default Original oil filter way too tight! (04 Golf)

I did my first (5K mile) oil/filter change on my 04 Golf today.

Or, at least, I changed the oil. I couldn't change the filter
because the old filter (the one originally installed at the
factory when the car was assembled) was on so tight that I was
absolutely unable to remove it, even after three hours' worth
of trying numerous tools and all the brute strength my arms,
legs, and (poor aching) back could muster.

I had already drained the crankcase before discovering that
the filter had been installed by a gorilla with power tools,
so I ended up (for the time being at least) putting in new
oil, but keeping the old filter.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? How did you
deal with it? Did you get VW involved? (I'm very seriously
considering raising a stink over this with VW -- arguing that
the unreasonably tight oil filter is a defect that they have
an obligation to rectify, without charge, under the warranty.)

Rich Wales http://www.richw.org