Old October 27th 04, 05:55 AM
Friend of the Doktor

Default 96 Caravan Transmission Slippage

Recently I had the filter on my 96 Caravan (3.0L with 3 speed) changed and
the Mr. Lube where it was done topped up the transmission fluid with Dexron
III-Mercon. Shortly thereafter I experienced slippage and surging
particularly when the van was cold. I returned to the shop and after some
discussion about their use of Dexron they drained the fluid through the dip
stick tube and added about 4L of ATF+3. Initially this improved performance
but soon it started to slip again and I returned to the shop and had them
drain the entire system and 10L of ATF+3 was installed. However I'm still
experiencing a slight slippage when cold starting. Is it possible that the
Dexron has caused some damage? I never experienced any transmission problems
before visiting Mr. Lube. The van has about 78,000 miles. Any ideas?

Jack