Old October 26th 04, 01:17 AM
James C. Reeves

"Dan" > wrote in message
| Just got back from a weekend trip. Here's my stats for highway
| mileage on the Magnum RT 5.7L "Hemi":
|
| 21.51 mpg and 21.48 mpg on two tanks of 89 octane
|
| This was about 75 percent interstate, running around 80; 15 percent
| four-lane divided highway, running 65 or 70; and 10 percent two-lane
| running 50, then wide open throttle to 75 when passing, numerous
| times.
|
| Trip was about 315 miles each way, which is about one tank each way.
|
| This has astounded my friend who has a Magnum with the larger 6
| cylinder. He gets less than 20 mpg on the highway, also running 89
| octane. And, of course, it's way better than the Dodge Ram trucks get
| with their 5.7L, which is a different engine.

My father's 83 Buick LeSabre V8 got 26MPG highway and so did my boss's 80's
vintage Pontiac Pariseanne V8. That was 20 years ago!! Granted their engines
(305 V8's I think) only pumped out 145 horsepower with 0-60 times somewhere
around 10-seconds (about average times for the day). I think the speedo pegged
at 80 (maybe 85). But then gasoline in inflation adjusted dollars was
equillivant to $3.50 a gallon...so people settled for a lot less power back
then.