Old February 18th 05, 01:12 AM
Lee Choquette

In article >,
Ed Stasiak > wrote:
>> "Paul" > wrote
>> > "Ed Stasiak" > wrote
>> >
>> > I wouldn't be surprised if the legislation for this included
>> > yearly and/or random checks

>> Or just set up "DUI check points," (or "papers checkpoints,"
>> if you prefer) under the guise of "safety," and do the compliance
>> check then....

>A device similar to the 'red light cameras' could probably be
>developed with a central computer constantly checking vehicles
>stopped at a red lights and if your vehicle's transponder doesn't
>send the correct signal, a digital photo is taken of your license
>plate and you get a visit from the cops.

There aren't any red lights here in Needles, CA, a city of 5,000 on the
border with Arizona. Most residents don't buy gas here at all because of
the high price*, but buy it just across the river in Arizona. How would
the bureaucrats collect their mileage tax from us?

*the difference in gas tax isn't enough to explain the high price. Some
accuse the gas station owners of colluding to rake unwary travelers
over the coals. Another possible explanation is the special blend of
"clean" gasoline California requires everywhere, not just in the big
cities like most other states.

Lee