Old April 10th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default "Dodge sets sights on new Caliber"

"L, not -L" > wrote in message

> On 9-Apr-2006, "Dave Gower" > wrote:
>
> > "M.R.S." > wrote
> >
> > > I think it's a great attempt for Dodge.

> > Saw my first one at a dealership this week. Very impressive. Different
> > enough to be interesting, but the differences look right. I can see why
> > some
> > industry analysts are saying that this will kill the PT, because it

fills
> > its role and has wider appeal as well.

> This would be a good time for Chrysler to look at a replacement for the

PT;
> it's been around for 7 full years with no substantive design change. How
> long can demand stay up for that design and, unless they are considering a
> pickup version, there aren't any new variations on the current car that
> might grow sales. Selling a new PT, other than (maybe) the convertible,

has
> got to be getting more difficult because all over town nearly identical

used
> cars are selling for much less.
>
> I have a 2001 PT that I ordered in April 2000 and took delivery of in June
> 2000; there is no sense paying $10k with trade for another PT that looks
> just like what I have (except the body colored bumpers are more to my
> taste). I've had my fill of convertibles in the past 20 years and think
> the PT variant is butt-ugly; besides, it eliminates the great flexibility

of
> the PT interior.
>
> Though I haven't bought anything but Chrysler products since 1966 (it was

> lovely '37 Ford sedan, that looked a lot like a giant version of my

current
> PT), I've thought about stopping by the Chevy dealer to see if the HHR is

as
> flexible as the PT. The Caliber gives me something else to look at before
> leaving the Chrysler stable.

I would give anything to have another Rampage-like pick up.
Just big enough to haul what I wanted to haul (plywood, washer/dryer,
camping stuff, etc), front wheel drive, economy, but not a gas guzzling full
size truck. I've been looking for another one (Rampage) for several years,
but they are hard to find. And the Dakotas are just to big, and not fuel
efficient enough.