Old April 2nd 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default ignition noise

On 03/31/06 06:12 pm justlarry wrote:

> I have an '00 Intrepid and an '02 Stratus, and whenever I try to use a
> battery operated CB radio (for trips) or a "ham" radio, whether with
> internal or external antenna, I get lots of ignition noise when the car is
> running. It's not a "whine" but more like a speed-intensive "pop." The
> noise is present even when running of the power outlet. Shut off the
> engine, and the interference is gone.
>
> Wondering what I could do to eliminate the noise. Would running the units
> directly off the battery (or in my case the positive and negative terminals
> in the engine compartment) help.
>
> Thanks for any clues.

I have from time to time run my Icom IC-706MkIIG in our '02 300M. The
rig is mounted in the trunk, with #6 power wiring direct from the
battery (with a fuse in the +ve lead right next to the battery). I use
an appropriate Ham-Stick (or similar) antenna attached to a trunk-lip
mount. I "bridged" the hood and trunk hinges with battery grounding straps.

I've sometimes detected the ignition interference, but the noise blanker
will usually take it out (and the 706 noise blanker is generally thought
to be far from the best around).

I do have a RadioSchlock "Heavy Duty Noise Filter" ready to install, but
so far I haven't gotten around to doing it.

"Perce"
(aka Alan NV8A)