Old July 21st 05, 03:59 PM
Earle Horton

My 2 cents. A water pump is a very simple device. There are only four
things that can go bad, the bearings, the seal, the impeller, and
miscellaneous leaks. You would hear the bearings if bad, or the fan shaft
would be loose. I assume that you would spot a seal problem or any leaks.
Loss of fluid and dripping would be your first clue. Now if the impeller
were bad, then you would get poor circulation, but also at speed.

I think we can assume that the pump is not the problem, although you would
have to remove and inspect it to be absolutely sure. On some vehicles, you
can take off the pressure cap and visually verify coolant flow, short of
this. I do not know whether you can do so with the GC. Do not try it with
the engine hot. Take off the cap with the engine cool, warm it up, and note
what happens. If you wait long enough, and the engine is really running
235, it may boil over. Oops! What you are looking for, is movement in the
coolant before this.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the gauge, unless the system is
boiling over. Then, you have real problems. If it really bothers you, I
have some suggestions. Install those hood vents that someone mentioned.
Buy or fabricate shims to lift up the back of the hood, like the ricers with
big engines do. Load up the GC with camping gear, and head for the
mountains. It's pretty hot up here even, but the Channel 9 weather girl
says it's going to cool down by Saturday. She's hot too, but in a different
way.

Earle

"YouGoFirst" > wrote in message
> >> It has gone up just over the next gauge mark, which I think is 235. I
> >> think that it would have kept on going if I hadn't been moving agian.
> >>
> >> Where would the aux fan be, I looked, and haven't found one, unless it

is