Old September 12th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.global-warming,rec.autos.driving
R. Lander

Default "Gas prices sinking - fill 'er up!" (America, the superficial)

That ABC Good Morning America caption (9/12/06) illustrates the chronic
shallowness of Americans. A field reporter was jubilant that the price
of gas had dropped, and hoping for more of the same. Not once did this
dingbat mention conservation in her report. Diane Sawyer didn't either.
Hard working Americans (in an oil-addicted economy) are offended by
high prices, so let's not upset them with talk of restraint. We must
keep the economy addicted and growing forever, or else.....or else we
might have to live sustainably? Don't suggest that!

The fact is, $3+/gallon gas has been the only motivation for the
average fool to conserve fuel and stop buying ego-tanks. Watch as SUV
sales spike in coming months. These people don't care where oil is
coming from or what it's doing to the climate, as long as they can
"fill 'er up!" and go about their self-centered business. They are like
Pac-Man, eating up whatever oil appears in their path. They show little
concern for their own life-support systems. Do they think money creates
energy itself?

If we really want to curb global warming and pollution, shouldn't we be
somewhat grateful for anything that forces us to do it? The truth is,
most people only care about their immediate wants. Like bleating sheep,
they'll try to blame someone else when Peak Oil and climate change
finally forces them off the road. Mark my words: the masses won't act
until the fan slings brown matter.

R. Lander