Old July 18th 05, 06:06 PM
Remco

P.J. Berg wrote:
> Remco wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I've been thinking of a way to get the body off my bug. I know I could
> > just lift it off with a couple of friends and put it on sawhorses.
> > It is just hard to get friends together at a very specific time.
> > Looking at how to replace the heater channels, it looks like the body
> > has to be test fitted on the frame several times.
> > (I've never done this before also want to keep my friends in the
> > process
> >
> > The idea was that I have to be able to lift the body by myself at will
> > and be able to hover it over the pan withing 1/2 inch or so. This way
> > frequent alignment will be less of a pain.
> >
> > I like building fixtures so built this "body lift", built out of
> > dimensional lumber and will post some pictures eventually.
> > This is how it works:
> > Envision two (front and back) very strong saw horses where the cross
> > members can move up and down by means of two threaded rods.
> > Depending on the turning direction of these rods, the cross member
> > moves up or down.
> > The rear is built and ready to go. With an air wrench, the back can be
> > lifted up in minutes, high enough to clear the rear wheel. With two of
> > these contraptions (front and back) one just has to be careful to raise
> > each corner gradually so the body raises evenly.
> >
> > The body sits on top of this cross member, just under the spot where
> > the bumper mount is bolted to the body.
> > It'll probably be secured by chaining the cross member to the bumper
> > mount bolt holes for safety but it won't be supported this way.
> >
> > Is this a good spot to support the body? It looks structurally sound.
> > Or would it be best to bring it back down and sit it on something else?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> > Remco
> >

> You can actually lift the body yourself, one end at a a time, not too
> heavy..

Thanks -- Yeah, I've tried that and it worked fine for getting it off.
It isn't that heavy, you're right.

I was really interested in bringing the body down and letting it sit
maybe a cm above the pan. This way I can align everything properly
without ****ing my friends off while they are holding it up