Old July 18th 05, 01:08 PM
Jonathan Kamens

gnubee writes:
>If my car breaks down at night, and I have it
>towed to a shop/dealer who has already closed, do I just leave my car there?

As someone else pointed out, some of the shops stay open late, but
still, if you get towed at 2am, it's unlikely that anybody's going to
be open. If that happens, then yes, the tow-truck driver will tow
your car to the repair shop (or for that matter, to any location) of
your choice and leave it there. You can leave a note on the
windshield, but you should also call the shop as soon as they open in
the morning and let them know what's going on.

Note also that with standard AAA membership, the amount of towing you
get for free is limited to a few miles. If you ask the two-truck
driver to tow farther than that, you'll pay by the mile at rates set
by the driver (i.e., not by the AAA).

Note also that some tow-truck drivers will try to rip you off and
charge you for things that are supposed to come for free with AAA
membership. For example, they may charge you a "hook-up fee" or "lift
fee". Perhaps they legitimately think that these are legitimate
charges, but I think it's more likely that they're looking to make a
quick buck. It's best not to argue with the driver about this. Just
pay the fee, and then contact the AAA and ask them to reimburse you,
which they will if the fee wasn't legitimate.

>And will the tow truck also take me back home?

That's not included in the AAA service. The driver may agree to take
you home, but he's free to charge you whatever he wants to do it. You
can usually ask him to call you a cab, though. If you're in a remote
location, it might be wise to ask him to stay with you until the cab
arrives. You should consider the distance from your house and the
remoteness of the location when deciding to where to ask the driver to
tow your car.