Old July 18th 05, 02:52 PM
Rex B

Default '87 Jetta GLI 16V - progress

OK guys, here's where I'm at now with this (formerly) dead VW:

After going through everything from air cleaner to intake, repairing
what little I could find wrong, replacing all suspect vac hoses, and
fixing one vacuum leak, I got it where I could drive it - barely. It's
obviously running way lean, because once I get the throttle into the WOT
enrichment, it wakes up immediately.
I know the rice-rocket shop turned the fuel distributor adjustment
screw a bunch, not knowing what they were doing. My question is, does
that have an effect on the basic running mixture (as opposed to idle
only)? Can I expect to crank the 3mm adjustment screw a little at a
time and bring the mixture into a drivable range?
I know the correct way to do this is with an ammeter reading the o2
sensor circuit, but the o2 sensor does not get hot enough to operate for
this purpose. Remember this is a race car, and most people racing these
effectively bypass the o2 sensor and treat it as a straight CIS system.
--
- -
Rex Burkheimer