Old March 27th 05, 10:20 AM
jaybird

"Timberwoof" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "B. Peg" > wrote:
>
>> > "jaybird" wrote:
>> > Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
>> > already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your
>> > cause, there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a
>> > spotless record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for
>> > making an inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

>> What if you called 911 on your family member and got the same response?
>> "Oh, it's okay. He was just having a bad day. He was a good cop for so
>> long." Gimme a frickin' break!
>>
>> Fwiw, what relevance does a spotless record have? From your logic, then
>> why
>> arrest any first time offender? After all, they were good citizen for so
>> long.

> Ooooobviously, this is a compleeeetely different case. When a *citizen*
> commits
> a crime, that's always bad, and we should lock 'em up and throw away the
> key.
> Gotta pusnish them properly and make an example of them ti keeo everybody
> else
> in line.

Now back up just a second. If a citizen commits a crime for the first time
they don't lock them up and throw away the key. If it's an offense other
than a serious felony like murder, rape, etc., then the person doesn't
always get jail time. Most often they'll receive probation or a light
sentence.

> But when an Officer Of The Law makes a mistake, that's because they're
> only
> human, and we should have sympathy for all the stress they endure day in
> and day
> out.
>
> (For the irony-impaired, I was joking.)

Understood, but we're not asking for sympathy. Certainly discipline him but
don't fire him.

--
---
jaybird