Old November 9th 04, 05:12 AM
Kirk S.

> No matter where you set the camshaft, there is no way of avoiding pressing
> down on some of the valves as you tighten down the camshaft. The idea of
> removing/tightening alternate caps is to minimise the bending stress in

the
> camshaft itself. If you tighten down the outers (1&4) first, you risk
> permanently bowing the camshaft upwards in the middle. Similarly, if you
> tighten down the inners (2&3) first, you risk bowing it the other way. It

is
> less important which pair (1&3 and 2&4) you loosen/tighten first, as long

as
> you avoid making the camshaft span too far as a beam between supports. A
> bent camshaft will obviously bind in the bearings, leading to premature
> bearing wear and failure of the toothed belt. Hope that makes sense!
>
> Rachael

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I tightened down 3 first, 1 second, 4 third
and 2 last. Once I got the camshaft started, I just tightened everything up
slowly and evenly. Never turning any one cap more than 1/4 turn at a time
and keeping the cam at the same height on each cap.

Thanks! Will see how it runs with the new lifters. The old ones were
making quite a racket. Probably will replace the injectors as well.

Kirk