Old July 23rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Default V5 compressor seal replacement

Kevin wrote:
> "Bob Urz" > wrote in message
>
>>My 1996 S10's V5 compressor seems to have a bad seal behind the clutch. I
>>evacuated it and added one can of R134a and it was trying to work.
>>(did not add any more R134 until i was sure it was not leaking)
>>But when i shut it off, i could hear the constant hiss in the area of the
>>compressor clutch long after the motor was off. I had dye in the system,
>>but could not see behind the compressor clutch.
>>
>>What special tools do i need to do this?
>>I know there are two groups of them. One set to take off the clutch and
>>put it back on, and another set to remove the seal and put it back on.
>>I don't need a $250 tool set to do this once. Autozone might have the
>>clutch tools in there loaner program, but i don't think they have the seal
>>tools. Any suggestions to do this economically? Since the compressor is
>>still pumping, i hate to replace it when all it
>>probably needs is a front seal?
>>
>>From what i see on line, these compressors are prone to leak.
>>Any tips? Will any other cars V5 sub to a S10? From what i can tell,
>>the early ones used o rings on the back and will not directly sub.
>>

>>Bob

>>News==----
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>Newsgroups
>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>=----

> Now days the accepted practice is to replace the compressor rather than try
> to reseal the shaft. Replacing the shaft seal is a tricky job that often
> requires multiple attempts. Now, if you worked in an A/C compressor
> reconditioning factory and your job was to replace the seal on every
> compressor that came through, you would probably become very efficient at it
> and would have a very low failure rate, but if this is the first seal you
> ever replaced the chances of you getting it right the first time are rather
> slim. Having the correct tool is essential and developing the correct
> technique is something that usually takes practice.. Who knows though, you
> just might get lucky the first time and save yourself some money. It's your
> call, but at least now you have been cautioned .
> BTW, I doubt that you will easily find a source for the specific seal
> replacement tool because it is customarily sold as part of a universal set,
> most of which are rather pricey. You could try OTC, Snap On, or RobinAir
> sites to search for the correct tools to service the compressor, just to
> name a few.

Well, a little searching found a V5 tool seal set for $23.99

http://user388353.wx15.registeredsit...ode=MVP-acTKit

I would still need a snap ring tool (i have) and the clutch tool
(which i think is on the autozone tool loan program).

Is it a crap shoot? You Bet. But i know the pump works
And a replacement pump is hundreds of dollars. I also have seen
many post about people buying replacement rebuilt pumps only to have
them leak too.