Old May 7th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Resealing the Oil Pan

In article >,
says...
> Good point. Thanks for that.
>
> I did a search on this and it seems what might contribute to making
> resealing a PITA is four of the pan bolts are inaccessible because of a
> pulley. Can anyone attest to this?

Correct the pulley has to be pulled and the pans usually leak near the
transmission in the pans radius. Not sure why they think it's so hard to
remove RTV. On a side note I've given up on Permatex to seal anything
anymore. The only RTV I use anymore is made by McKanica. I squirted a
dab of all my RTV's onto a clean stainless steel surface and it was the
only RTV with real grip. The black Permatex just flung off like crap.

> Ye gads! Good design. I suppose you have to pull the engine to replace the
> oil pan.

nope, just go in through the wheel well to remove the pulley.

> Anyway, it'll be a while before I drop $500 plus to stop a few
> drops of oil. I'm forgetting that while this car is low-mileage, and I still
> like it, it is 10 years old.

Hell I'd do that pan for $150us