Old August 20th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tiny

Default 87 octane vs 89 octane

On 19 Aug 2006 17:18:41 -0700, "Tbone" >
wrote:

<snip>

>I have an '06 Ram with the Hemi and in the manual it says to use 89
>octane. I've read stories where people have used 87 instead and have
>had to have all fuel lines and fuel rails replaced. I just look at it
>as spending a few more dollars for something that's required.

That's a concern but I doubt they'd say 87 octane is "OK" if using it
would do that. My main concern is the 9.9 to 1 compression ratio & 87
octane gas. I'm assuming the timing would have to be retarded to stop
the engine from pinging. I had an 01 Ram with the 318 that had the
timing retarded for that reason (pinging) and it ran like a turd
because of it. I'm not going to race the car but I don't want to spend
that much money on a car to have it run like it's dragging a lead
weight behind it. Thanks for the opinions guys.
Man who scratches backside shouldn't bite fingernails.
The gene pool needs more chlorine.
Change .com to .net to reply direct.
www.terraworld.net/tiny