Old February 28th 05, 11:22 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

About $700.00 for the timing belt, and you don't want to even attempt it yourself. You'll need almost that much in special tools and
if you're off by as much as 1 tooth and turn the engine, it's history. Diesels are interference engines and there's no room for
error. Once the belt is changed you'd need to connect it to a VAG-com (computer) and set the injection timing. A VAG-com will set
you back another $200.00. Automatics get timing belts replaced every 40,000 miles ... manual trans every 60,000 miles.

You might want to look here for more info www.tdiclub.com