Old January 19th 05, 05:41 PM
Bruce Chang

"TCS" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:16:46 +0000 (UTC), Spud Demon
> > wrote:
>>"Brian" > writes in article
> dated Wed, 19 Jan 2005
>>09:32:11 -0500:
>>>What could cause an alternator to put out too high a voltage?

>>A bad regulator. I think most regulators are built into the alternators
>>these days.

> If it's a bad regulator, the alternator can be taken to an autoelectric
> repair
> shop and repaired for a lot less than a replacement alternator, typically
> $50-90. If you can't find one in the yellow pages it's because rents in
> your
> city are too high and smaller business can't stay in business.

Very good advice. I recommend getting a electric shop to fix your
alternator as well. The good thing is they will fix what's wrong, not just
replace everything and hope that they get it. They have the ability to
diagnose and repair the alternator properly. Around here (Dallas, Texas)
the local shop will fix any alternator for $45, replacing only what's gone
bad. Also, the shop uses better components than those that are found in the
rebuilt units of the auto stores.

-Bruce