Old July 1st 04, 04:17 PM
Barry Schnoor

If you're sure it's a loose belt causing the noise, it's likely your
tensioner...a spring-loaded pully down below your idler pully / power
steering / alternator.

If the 95 is like the 94, it's a pretty easy fix. Take off the passenger
wheel and the plastic spash guards (use care in removing the plastic "pins"
that hold the guards in place...they're several bucks each if you have to go
to saturn for them.

The tensioner is held in place with two bolts. You need nimble fingers, but
it's not hard. Maybe $50 for the part. Replace the belt while you're at
it....about $16.

Now, there are a number of things running on this belt...the tensioner
pully, the idler pully, A/C, Pwr steering, alternator, water pump. You can
get a squeal out of any of the pullies on any of this equipt. I replaced my
tensioner which wasn't necessary...since the noise I was hearing was a bad
bearing in my idler pully...only $21. But after 160Kmiles, I thought it
wasn't a bad repair.

but if you're sure it's a loose belt, then the tensioner is the likely
culprit. You can't adjust it. It comes spring loaded.

Good luck

Barry in C'Ville