Old August 11th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
nutso fasst

Default Smog check HC question

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I doubt the Techron helped with this. What may let you pass emissions
> are using the hottest spark plugs allowed and changing the oil to
> 20W-50.

Exclusively Castrol 20W-50 since I bought the car w/10,000 miles on it.

> Were 1981 Sciroccos part of a recall for high hydrocarbons?

Interesting...would a recall fix still be available if I never received a
notification? I seem to recall, though, problems with Rabbits made in USA,
not Sciroccos made in Germany. Anyway, the car passed all checks until 1998
(239,000 miles), when it failed HC miserably and got its CAT replaced for
the first time. And I know it wasn't using a lot of oil when I was driving
the car a lot prior to 1994.

Valve seal failure does seem a logical explanation for seeing smoke after
the engine is started cold, and why it would use more oil per mile on short
trips.

> The valve seals
> on this engine can be replaced without removing the head if you pump
> air into the spark plug hole or stuff non-fraying rope through the hole
> and turn the engine by hand slightly to compress it.

Good tip. Thanks!

nf