Old August 10th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Smog check HC question

nutso fasst wrote:
> I replaced cat converter 2 yrs ago to bring down HC in wife's 81 VW
> Scirocco. Now the car's failing due to high HC again, with only about 2800
> miles since last test! Results:
>
> 15mph, 1807rpm
> HC max: 162 - HC meas: 149
> CO max: 1.09 - CO meas: 0.27
> NO max: 1227 - NO meas: 983
>
> 25mph, 1938rpm
> HC max: 132 - HC meas: 172 FAIL
> CO max: 1.09 - CO meas: 0.27
> NO max: 1227 - NO meas: 791
>
> The car is driven every few days for short trips except was driven about
> 15-20 miles on the freeway before the test. Also, tester ran it for 2
> minutes at 2K or so before starting the test. It has over 250K miles and
> does pass some oil - about 1qt every 200 miles or so I think. It doesn't
> smoke in normal driving though, and near-new plugs look toasty-good.

I doubt the Techron helped with this. What may let you pass emissions
are using the hottest spark plugs allowed and changing the oil to
20W-50. Were 1981 Sciroccos part of a recall for high hydrocarbons?
VWs made until some time in the early 1980s had valve stem seals that
would wear out and cause a quart of oil to be burned every 100-200
miles. VW initially said this was normal, but they were later forced
by the EPA to fix this, and a recall was issued that included new valve
seals, valve adjustment, and, for some model years, elimination of the
EGR valve and replacement of it with just an ignition vacuum advance
time delay. I think the recall was called MK or KQ. The valve seals
on this engine can be replaced without removing the head if you pump
air into the spark plug hole or stuff non-fraying rope through the hole
and turn the engine by hand slightly to compress it.