Old August 10th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
E Frank Ball III[_1_]

Default Smog check HC question

nutso fasst > wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I replaced cat converter 2 yrs ago to bring down HC in wife's 81 VW
> Scirocco. Now the car's failing due to high HC again, with only about 2800
> miles since last test! Results:
>
> 15mph, 1807rpm
> HC max: 162 - HC meas: 149
> CO max: 1.09 - CO meas: 0.27
> NO max: 1227 - NO meas: 983
>
> 25mph, 1938rpm
> HC max: 132 - HC meas: 172 FAIL
> CO max: 1.09 - CO meas: 0.27
> NO max: 1227 - NO meas: 791
>
> The car is driven every few days for short trips except was driven about
> 15-20 miles on the freeway before the test. Also, tester ran it for 2
> minutes at 2K or so before starting the test. It has over 250K miles and
> does pass some oil - about 1qt every 200 miles or so I think. It doesn't
> smoke in normal driving though, and near-new plugs look toasty-good.
>
> Question: I put a bottle of Techron in the tank. Is there a chance running
> that out on the freeway would clean up the test results, or is a new cat the
> answer? (Can a cat go bad in 2800 miles?!)
>
> Also: what effect does Techron have on a smog test? Does it all have to be
> run out and refueled before testing?

The Techron is good, but you need more than that. With that level of
oil consumption and all the short trips you have a lot of carbon
build-up. Get a can of Berryman B12 Total Combustion Cleaner Kit.
Get the engine well warmed up then follow the directions. Then go out
and drive and FLOOR IT until smoke stops billowing out the tailpipe.
Depending on how much buildup you have this will take a couple blocks to
a couple of miles.

Run the techron in the gas tank too. After both of these change the
oil, it will be black.

--

E Frank Ball